Well, I must say I am not a trend follower, I prefer to set the trend or being uniquely myself. When the beauty box subscription started to become a hot topic in every beauty forum or magazine, I was still observing whether I would jump on the bandwagon. And I decided not to. Why?
1. I enjoy testing and finding “the one” product in my own way. ‘My own way’ means trying to get access to a sample by asking SAs, or friends who are using it, or going to forums where I can discuss with others about it, reading reviews on makeupalley, researching on youtube and Google. They are my best sources for looking up, and I enjoy reading as many sources as I can before making up my mind to buy or no (and if you don’t know yet, I’m a book worm).
2. I hate to admit the fact that I’m a beauty hoarder. Yes. What I don’t like about beauty box subscription is it can easily turn me into an even worse beauty hoarder. The bad side of being a beauty hoarder is that you can’t decide which product is better or worse… It’s the same feeling when you’ve tried too many perfumes at the store, you can’t tell which perfume smells best.
3. I worked in marketing before and I don’t wanna become a victim of marketers. Hah, it sounds silly but yes, beauty box subscription is an invention where customers are actually paying for marketing. It has made marketing available to all kinds of customers, especially the niche groups where brands wanna target. Meanwhile marketing wanna turn every single customer into a cash cow to the extend that they use their products just because it’s a (damn) habit. Sometimes you grab a certain product (unconsciously) not because it’s good for your skin, but maybe because it’s (good enough to become) your habit. (Say the smokers)
4. Beauty boxes didn’t appeal to me: they include some sample-sized products, from brands I hardly know, sometimes it includes a boring full-size product. The boxes are almost the same among all the customers (why?). Some subscription providers have been trying to improve the service by letting you tailor your own box, however, to me it’s still a mass market product/beauty box. There are very rare times that brands I really wanna try show up into a beauty boxes. It’s easy to explain, well-established brands no longer need to spend huge amount of money on samples sending free to new groups of customers (i.e. Chanel, Guerlain, Bobbi Brown…) or the providers are not cool enough to cold sell/persuade the high street brands into partnering with them.
5. Beauty boxes look boring, even the Birchbox which has a theme for each month. I still have the feeling that those beauty boxes lack something interesting to lure me into purchasing ’em. Product ranges are also very limited. I expect more. (Yes I’m a picky buyer)
All the above things were the past. Now I’ve found the one and only beauty box that I’ll definitely purchase if I’ve got chance. It’s the My Little Box by My Little Paris. It’s very sad that this box is currently only available in France and Belgium. How I wish I live in Paris now 😦
My little box has turned a normal beauty box into a special and unique box where they deliver their “vision” of:
– A beauty box that looks like a gift box
– It includes surprising products ranging from perfume deluxe samples to scarf, even sunglasses
– It is beautifully designed and looks very chic, very French
– There are little touches that make the boxes especially for you: the cards, ribbons, stickers… Luxury stuff always make you feel like they are made only for you and they care about even smallest details.
– The boxes are themed each month, and very interesting themes include Party/Parisian/New Yorker/Holiday…
– They have partnered with the most amazing French brands include Givenchy, Kerastase, YSL, Dyptique, By Terry…
– I feel like I get MUCH MORE than what I’ve paid for
– The box includes more than beauty products, it includes even the lifestyle… I am always fascinated how people can sell “intangible spirit” and this little box is very good at selling the Parisian/French lifestyle I believe.
– Receiving a box each month becomes more than you get what you pay for, but an experience and finally a habit of feeling excited about what you will be offered (and never be disappointed). I know this is difficult for the company to keep up the hype, but come on, they offer more than just beauty products in a box so I do believe that it got more intangible value to the box.
….. Many other things else that make me want this beauty box so badly. However at this moment I am still crying out because I can’t get hold one for myself… Let’s just enjoy these beautiful pictures… 🙂
Picture Credit: My Little Box Fr website.
FYI: Vietnam has also got a beauty box coming up which is GlamyBox. Recently VanityTrove (Singapore) has acquired GlamyBox to enter the Vietnam’s market of beauty box subscription. However, at this moment I still feel quite hesitated to subscribe for Glamybox. If you are interested you can visit at http://www.glamybox.com